Friday, January 29, 2010

Rushkoff Scores a Bulls-Eye

Corporations as Uber-Citizens

I think this is really good article. I'm consistently impressed by Douglas Rushkoff, because I really love reading, seeing, or hearing people that have an excellent grasp of their subject, and Rushkoff has this ability to explain the most complicated, institutionalized things in our society in a winning, down-to-earth way.

What does he say here?

The first two paragraphs set the scenario of human interests/rights vs. corporate interests/rights, and Rushkoff comes from the somewhat counter-cultural stance that says corporations are not simply people-collectives. Oh no, they're not. They're something else entirely. The hippie in me kind of likes this, but it's not something I'm certain I agree with entirely.

For one thing, corporations are sometimes the mecha of whatever individuals are at the top. In other words, corporations are sometimes the vast expression of whatever the CEO, the board of directors, or some management team imagines. I don't think Rushkoff expresses this aspect of things, but maybe I can see why: suppose the CEO changes his mind and wants to change policy, but now the board has become invested in these policies, and simply get rid of the CEO rather than allow his policy changes to come to fruition. Viewed from the outside, it might appear that the corporation has a mind of its own.

Anyway, read the article. It has plenty to say. I think I'll post more on it later. Ta...

No comments: